What Is Sacha Inchi?
Sacha inchi – also known as the Inca peanut, is the seed of a plant that grows in the highlands of Peru. Despite being a fairly recent discovery in the health community of the United States, sacha inchi has been cultivated and used as a food source for 3,000 years in the Amazon rainforest. The fruit that these seeds grow in is inedible, but when lightly roasted with low heat the seeds take on a crisp nutty flavor.
Sacha inchi is much more than just a pleasant snack food. These seeds are rich in protein, omega 3, 6, and 9, alpha tocopherol vitamin E, carotenoids (vitamin A), and fiber. This superfood is easily digested and unlikely to cause allergies or irritation. The oil is also available. It has a similar flavor to olive oil, just slightly lighter and nuttier, but it contains more protein and omega 3.
Vegans and vegetarians should look into omega 3 rich foods to supply this essential nutrient. There are very few plant foods that supply a decent amount. Sacha inchi now joins purslane, chia seeds, flaxseed, and microalgae as vegan omega 3 superfoods and another way to sneak more healthy essential fats into your life. The studies are thin this early on, but sacha inchi is showing promise in many areas.
5 AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS OF SACHA INCHI
1. Cholesterol – Sacha inchi lowers LDL and raises HDL cholesterol. Cholesterol levels may not be the biggest marker for cardiovascular problems we once thought them to be, but they are still a concern and can reflect dietary problems and genetic dispositions toward some diseases.
2. Weight Loss – Higher serotonin levels, thanks to the tryptophan, also regulate appetite so we don’t get cravings, overeat, or snack more than we need to.
3. Well Being – These seeds contain a good amount of tryptophan, a precursor for serotonin. Serotonin is a feel-good hormone and neurotransmitter that helps us deal with stress and feel calm and happy. The omega 3 also reduces inflammation in the brain, which can cause mood shifts, headaches, and more.
4. Heart Health – Sacha inchi improves circulation while lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, and inflammation throughout the body. All of this makes for a healthier, happier, less stressed cardiovascular system, from arteries to heart and beyond.
5. Brain Health – The majority of our brain is composed of fat. We need good, healthy fats to resupply those cells and to continually fight inflammation. Inflammation in the brain can cause depression, fatigue, memory issues, and exaggerated responses to pain.
That’s the five benefits of Sacha Inchi for health of our bodies, hopefully this article can be useful for you readers.